Medium voice with piano
This song was written for the baptism of our niece Zoey. It describes our relationship with the Savior by discussing what we promise him, and what he promises us in return.
Promises was written as a vocal solo with piano. At the 2011 Church Music Festival on Temple Square, it was performed by a wonderful chorus of Primary children. This inspired me to write a simplified arrangement, more suitable for inexperienced soloists or groups, especially groups of Primary children or youth.
Here is a summary of the differences between the original and the simplified version:
- In the original version, the piano does not usually follow the melody line, while in the simplified version, the piano plays every note that is sung.
- Some rhythms have been simplified, including many of the syncopated passages.
- The low B has been omitted in the simplified version.
- In the simplified piano part, all reaches beyond one octave have been eliminated, and several tricky passages have been reworked for easier playing.
- The simplified score fits on 3 pages, while the original uses 4.
The live performance recording is from a 2011 fireside for the youth of Cordera Ward in Colorado Springs. The quality of the recording is low, but it demonstrates how the song fits together.
Downloads for the original version can be found below. Downloads for the simplified version are on this page.
Most commercial sheet music costs between 99 cents and 5 dollars per copy. If you use this piece, you may desire to make a contribution of any amount to keep this site running. Just click here. Thanks.
mp3 recording of MIDI performanceRecording of digital performance (mp3)